Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
1. Prepare romesco: To a food processor, combine all romesco ingredients. Process into a thick sauce, leaving a little bit of texture from the nuts, if desired. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Prepare wraps: In a heavy-bottom pot on medium-low, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Stir in onions, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until deeply caramelized and browned. Stir in vinegar to partially deglaze pan, then add remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and mushrooms. Add salt and black pepper and mix well. Sauté for 5 minutes longer, stirring often. Remove from heat.
3. Spread a generous 1 tbsp romesco sauce on the bottom of each lettuce leaf. Top with ¼ cup quinoa along with 2 slices portobello and some caramelized onions. Drizzle with another generous 1 tbsp romesco and sprinkle with parsley. Repeat with remaining wraps. Can be served warm or cold. (Make Ahead: Romesco sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead of time.)
More Uses: Ahiflower oil is delicate, so avoid heating it. Drizzle over creamy cauliflower soup or roasted beets. Or combine avocado, garlic, lime juice, olive oil and ahiflower oil in a blender and pulse until smooth.
Health Tip: Ahiflower oil comes from the seeds of the Buglossoides arvensis, a flowering plant that’s naturally rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Unlike flax and chia, which contain omega-3s in the form of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), ahiflower is high in stearidonic acid (SDA). The body converts SDA far more efficiently than it does ALA, and studies show that ahiflower oil is converted to heart-healthy, mood-balancing and anti-inflammatory eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) three to four times better than flaxseed oil.
- Serving Size 2 lettuce cups
- Calories 400
- Carbohydrate Content 41 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 23 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 510 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 13 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g