Rainbow Mango Slaw with Almond Butter Dressing & Fresh Herbs
Vibrant in color and loaded with flavor, this slaw is the perfect side for protein. You can prep it entirely at home and take it on the road – or take it camping, as Melissa Urban suggests in her book. If making it ahead, simply pack the salad, dressing and garnishes separately and toss together right before serving.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Recipes excerpted from The Whole30 Friends & Family © 2019 by Melissa Hartwig Urban. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
- ½ cup Whole30-compliant almond butter
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- ½-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 green onion (white and green parts), roughly chopped
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ head napa cabbage, thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- 1 cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrot
- 1 cup matchstick-cut red bell pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 large mango, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint + more for garnish
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped cashews
1. Make dressing: In a blender or food processor, combine all dressing ingredients and blend until smooth. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
2. Make slaw: In a lidded container, combine cabbage, purple cabbage, carrots, bell pepper and green onions. Store mango, mint and cashews in separate airtight containers. Store slaw ingredients in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
3. To serve, add mango, about two-thirds of mint and 1 cup of dressing to vegetable mixture; toss. Add additional dressing, if desired. Top with cashews and herbs.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 281
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 19 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 380 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g